So, I've unfollowed you on Twitter and you're left wondering why. Well, it basically boils down to the following.
- tweet stuff of little interest to me
- tweet too much stuff of little interest to me
To expand on this, I don't like to follow people who...
- are 'fanboys', haters or trolls (unless they're funny)
- tweet a shitload of PR guff or press releases (especially when it's a crappy campaign or product)
- retweet 'RT this & win some shit' tweets
- retweet tweets that are retweeted by millions of others
- auto tweet where they are, what they're the mayor of and/or what they're listening to or reading
- auto tweet horoscopes or some other bollocks
- auto tweet both their blog and Facebook updates (especially when they duplicate)
- have a largely automated account
- try to sell me shit
- try to con followers into joining some 'get rich quick' scheme
- attempt to use me for their own nefarious purposes (such as asking I RT them or their client)
- have odious views (I like politically incorrect, I abhor bigots)
- come across as too needy and/or have an unhealthy interest in yours truly
- RT tweets that mention them purely because they mention *them* (especially on a Friday)
- RT/arse kiss those who are more 'influential' than themselves
- are arsey about my posts that have nothing to do with them (unfollow if you don't like what I say)
- rant too much (even if I agree with most or all of such rants)
Sometimes I choose to follow, on a trial basis, folk who've retweeted and/or have started following me. This is on the basis that we probably have something in common. Sometimes, however, it becomes clear we do not. Such is life.
I also unfollow people who I feel are only following me, along with thousands of others, to get their follower count up. I don't want to be part of such games.
I make exceptions for some of what's listed above, but not all. I also unfollow folk who've not tweeted in while and am willing to re-follow people who've changed, IMO, for the better.
I'm not perfect, my tweets don't ooze sheer awesomeness and I do tweet a lot, so understand that people will also want to unfollow me. I won't question your motives if you do, as it's not my place to do so.
Anyhoo, I hope that's cleared some things up - but I understand you may still have some questions...
Q) Why not just keep following people regardless, so as not to hurt anyone's feelings?
A) I like interacting with people, I like keeping up with people who do interest me. That's difficult to do if you're following thousands.
Q) Why not just use a Twitter app that filters out them and/or some of their tweets?
A) I feel that's disingenuous. If I follow you, I follow you.Q) I've not broken any of your 'rules' and yet you've still unfollowed me.
A) 1) That's not a question. 2) You probably have but don't know it. 3) You're a company account and I'm no longer interested in your product or service.
Q) You've just wasted 10 minutes of my life.
A) 1) Again, that's not a question. 2) You chose to read this.